Colors of Melbourne


... colors of Melbourne ...



INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON BRIDGE MAINTENANCE,
SAFETY AND MANAGEMENT > IABMAS 2018 <


The week of experience

It is quite impressive how much one event can bring to life! IABMAS is my second conference within the ITN project INFRASTAR. The conference was held at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre the second week of July 2018. I was like to have my presentation scheduled on Tuesday morning, so, I was more relaxed during the rest of the conference. 

Presenting my paper
"Generalized Pareto Distribution for reliability 
of bridges exposed to fatigue"

Australia has been always the country of my dreams, so, the first advantage of the conference is the possibility to discover a new culture, nature, history, food, traditions... but this is a topic for another blog post.

People here are so friendly! 
In shops and cafés, people from staff ask you "how are you today?", smile and maintain a conversation

...back to the conference itself. The most remarkable experience was in communication with people coming from different countries. Everyone has different life experience, both in industry or academia and has something to share. All talks and discussions bring new ideas and a better understanding of certain topics, enrich knowledge and show new perspectives. Moreover, the conference helps to make new friends from all over the world and to get important contacts. 

With new friends from South Africa

Personally, I have got maximum possible from the conference agenda and organized events as this is the main point of participating in any conference! The focus of IABMAS is on bridges, which gave me an opportunity to listen to interesting presentations related to my work and to discuss important issues with professionals. As well, I have got some suggestions on how to improve my work or where to go further. 

with Colin Caprani, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia

with Dan Frangopol, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA, USA

On the last day of the conference, a few technical visits were organized, and I have got a chance to participate in the best one! It deserves an extra blog post 😊

Even if the programme of the conference was quite intense, there was still an opportunity to explore  amazing and wonderful Melbourne ❤


...to be continued

Comments